On this page, you can learn how to navigate the maps of Europe which are in the Current records and Historical records pages.
How do I find a location on the map?
To find a location on the map you can use the controls in the top left. To zoom in or out use the [+][-] buttons by clicking on them, or you can drag the slider. You can move the map around using the directional buttons above the zoom buttons.
Alternatively, you can use the map directly by clicking and draging it. To zoom in double click the left mouse button, and to zoom out double click the right button. The map will center to the clicked location at the same time as zooming.
Is there a faster way to zoom?
To zoom in fast you can try first double clicking on the desired location, this will center the map, then use the slider to move in closer. This will allow you to skip several zoom levels at once.
Can I view the map in different ways?
You can change between Map, Satellite and Hybrid views by clicking on the buttons at the top right in the map.
How do I enter the location details of my sample?
There are two ways in which you can enter location details of your sample:
- Using the map controls in the top left of the map, zoom into the point on the map and click on the map to place a pin on your sample site. This will automatically populate the latitude and longitude information.
- You can type in your own latitude and longitude co-ordinates in the location details box. You may find this useful if you are not able to accurately pin point your sample site. This may be because the area is under cloud or has not been mapped in enough detail. If you are using a GPS recorder to record site location, ensure it is set to record the decimal latitude and longitude not degrees/minutes/seconds.
Why can't I see the maps?
If you are experiencing any problems with this site including viewing the maps, here are a few things to consider.
- if you are using an older browser, you may want to think about upgrading to a newer version.
- if viewing the maps becomes problematic, restarting your browser may sometimes help.
- try pressing crtl-F5 to refresh your browser.
How can I view results from a certain area?
To view data from a certain location use the map tools to zoom into the desired location.