document sets out what we do with
your personal data in relation to scientific observations and personal information that you submit to the
Evolution MegaLab website at www.evolutionmegalab.org (the "website").
This notice applies to you for your use of the Evolution MegaLab website (http://evolutionmegalab.org).
1. Who we are
3. The Open University is the data controller in relation to the processing activities described below.
This means that The Open University decides why and how your personal information is processed.
Where this notice refers to “we”, “our” or “us” below, unless it mentions otherwise, it’s referring to The Open University.
2. Legal notice
5. We will at all times only collect and process your personal information
in accordance with all applicable data protection legislation, including the
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
3. What information do we collect about you, and how do we collect it?
Information that you give to us
When you register on the website, we collect the following data: username, first name, last name, email address and country. This information is held by the OU Learning and Teaching Technologies (LTT) team, and will be stored separately to any other records the University holds about you.
Information that we collect automatically
We collect anonymised data and create cookies via Google Analytics to understand usage patterns on the website.
4. How do we use your personal information?
We collect personal information to allow you to login, view the site in your language, and submit scientific observation data to the site, and to attribute such observations to you, via your username.
We also use your data to enable us to improve the website.
This is part of our public task to enable research and teaching.
5. Who do we share your information with?
8. Observations are available to anyone who visits the website, on a map, browsable via location.
They are also available for download in an anonymised state.
Observation data that is viewable on a map is attributed to you via your username
(see, 'How long do we keep your personal information for?' for the time-based exception).
6. How long do we keep your personal information for?
9. If you have not accessed the website since , your personal data and
observation data has been anonymised, and you will no long be able to access your account.
10. The website will be decommissioned in , and at that time, all user and observation data will be anonymised. The anonymised data may be used for further teaching and research activity, within The Open University.
7. Your rights
11. You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information, which apply in certain circumstances.
In order to exercise any of these rights, please contact us using the details at the end of this policy.
12. You have the right:
- To access your personal information that we process
- To rectify inaccuracies in the personal information that we hold about you
13. In some circumstances, you also have the right:
- To have your details removed from systems that we use to process your personal data
- To restrict the processing of your personal data in certain ways
- To obtain a copy of your personal data in a structured electronic data file
- To object to certain processing of your personal data by us
- To request that we stop sending you direct marketing communications.
14. If you are concerned about the way we have processed your personal information,
you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Please visit the ICO’s website (www.ico.org.uk) for further details.
8. Contact us
15. Please direct any queries about this policy, or about the way we process your personal information,
to our Data Protection Officer using the contact details below:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)1908 653994
- By post: The Data Protection Officer, PO Box 497, The Open University, Walton Hall, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK7 6AT.
20. This Privacy notice may be updated from time to time.
Last revised: .